YOGALEAN: Brown Rice Mushroom Risotto
This energizing dish is perfect for Vata Season (October - February).
According to Maharishi Ayurveda, "The most important general principle for everyone regarding diet during Vata season is to have warm, cooked foods. Since Vata is cold, dry and rough, warm, cooked foods made with a little olive oil or ghee have a wonderful soothing effect that immediately calms down restless Vata." The Mayo Clinic reports that a diet high in fiber lowers cholesterol, improves blood sugar levels, and promtes regualr bowel movements. Brown rice contains more fiber than its white counterpart due to the "brown" husk, which not only keeps you full but also gives you energy.
What You'll Need:
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 cup chopped portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup short grain brown rice (not jasmine)
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/3 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
Make it YogaLean:
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Heat grapeseed oil in a large oven-proof pot and heat over medium heat. Add portobello mushrooms; cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add rice and garlic; stir to coat well. Add wine and cook until it is almost entirely evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes.
4. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and transfer to the oven.
5. Bake for 40 minutes. If the risotto is loose, place ito n the stovetop over medium heat and simmer until the liquid is absorbed.
6. Stir in yogurt, parmesan, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.