Yogafit® Seven Principles Of Alignment29/12/2012
In YogaFit®. hatha yoga postures are expressed using our Seven Principles of Alignment (SPA). These principals help to create the optimal biomechanical position for the body during movement and while holding the poses. SPA increases safety while simultaneously providing functional mechanical principles that participants can use in their daily life. YogaFit® instructors use SPA to determine the safety of their participants in poses as well as the overall safety of additional poses.
- Establishing Base and Dynamic Tension. We establish a firm base in the feet and hands, stacking our joints for maximum support, and contracting our muscles to become stable in a pose.
- Creating Core Stability. We use the muscles of the trunk (e.g. abdominals, erector spinae) to create core stability prior to moving into and while holding poses for greater strength and internal support.
- Aligning the Spine. The spine is supported through core stabilization in all applicable poses and the head follows the movement of the spine. When moving into twists, flexion, or extension, we start in neutral spine.
- Softening and Aligning Knees. In all applicable poses, the knees stay in line with ankles and point directly out over the toes. In general, the knees, when bent, will also remain in the same line as the hips. To prevent hyperextension, we keep a microbend in the knees at all times.
- Relaxing Shoulders Back and Down. The shoulders are drawn naturally back and down in poses to help reduce tension in the neck and shoulders.
- Hinging at the Hips. When moving into and out of forward bends, we hinge from the hips, using the natural pulley system of the ball and socketjoint, keeping a microbend in the knees.
- Shortening the Lever. When hip hinging, flexing or extending the spine, we keep the arms out to the side or alongside the body to reduce strain on the muscles of the low back.
Stay Connected With Us
Monthly inspiration, delivered straight to your inbox.
- News and Updates
- YogaFit Specialty Tracks
- Inspirational Stories
- Monthly Newsletters
- YogaFit Events
- Student Resources
Come feel the energy for yourself at one of our Mind Body Fitness Conferences. It's a doggone good time!Register