YOGALEAN: Warm Up and Chill Out
Mindful food choices—like a big bowl of comforting chili—bring a sense of calm and ease to your body and mind.
We all need a respite from the daily grind and there’s no better way to do that then to prepare a meal with foods designed to combat stress and balance the nervous system. Beth Shaw’s quick and easy Winter Chili is just the thing you need to relax and refresh.
Sit down and really savor a big bowl of this chili, taking slow, gentle breaths in between bites and making each spoonful a special moment.
What You’ll Need
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic (or more, if you like)
1-1/2 cans vegetable broth (about 21 ounces)
2 cans great North American beans (about 31 ounces)
1 14.5-ounce can kidney beans (light or dark red)
1 can chopped green chili peppers (about 4 ounces)
2 Tablespoons ground cumin
1 Tablespoon chili powder
Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
1 container plain Greek yogurt (about 8 ounces)
1/4 cup shredded cheese
Make it YogaLean
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook until softened and translucent, about 3 minutes
2. Add broth, beans, and green chilis
3. Add cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes
4. Stir in yogurt and continue to simmer for 5 more minutes
5. To serve, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cheese
This recipe is adapted from Beth Shaw's YogaLean: Poses and Recipes to Promote Weight Lost and Vitality—for Life! For more tips, poses, and recipes, order your own copy here.