YOGALEAN: Recipes that Calm and Groundby Beth Shaw | 1/12/2016
A hot bowl of soup and a healthy veggie salad are just the ticket to nurture your body and soul.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
Using healthy oils in dishes like this will reduce inflammation caused by stress and, as you well know, a bowl of soup will instantly trigger emotional and physical well being associated with comfort. Serves: 8
What You’ll Need
1 Butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch cubes (about 2-1/2 pounds)
4 teaspoons of sunflower or olive oil (divided)
3/4 teaspoon salt (divided)
1 cup chopped onion
3 cups organic vegetable or chicken stock
1 can (14 oz) of light coconut milk
Cilantro, coconut flakes and sliced chilies for garnish
Make it YogaLean
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place squash in a bowl, drizzle with 3 teaspoons of oil, and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Transfer to baking sheet and roast for 35 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Heat the remaining teaspoon of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the onion, sautéing until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the squash and the stock, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove soup from the heat, stir in the coconut milk and let it stand for 15 minutes.
- Place half the soup in a blender and blend until smooth. Place in a bowl and repeat with the other half of the soup.
- Divide evenly among 8 bowls and top with the garnish.
BETH’S HEALTHY SALAD
Eating salads with loads of veggies will help your body absorb the nutrients it needs to stay healthy this winter. Serves 4
What You’ll Need
1/3 cup hearts of palm, sliced
1/2 cup cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
4 radishes, sliced
1/4 cup black olives, quartered
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 avocado, cubed
1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 cup shredded red cabbage
4 Persian cucumbers, cubed
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 lemon, juiced
Make it YogaLean:
Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk dressing ingredients together and add to salad. Toss and serve.
Stay Connected With Us
Monthly inspiration, delivered straight to your inbox.
- News and Updates
- YogaFit Specialty Tracks
- Inspirational Stories
- Monthly Newsletters
- YogaFit Events
- Student Resources
Come feel the energy for yourself at one of our Mind Body Fitness Conferences. It's a doggone good time!Register