YogaFit Partner Of The Month - July 2014
YogaFit Partner of the Month: JoAnna Byng
JoAnna Byng is a modern-day Renaissance woman. Not only is she passionate about teaching Mind/Body Wellness (having numerous YogaFit credentials), JoAnna is currently the Fitness Coordinator for Marriott’s Maui Ocean Club. Holding a master’s degree in Flute Performance, JoAnna also plays and teaches flute, piccolo and piano professionally on Maui and surrounding islands. In addition, she still finds time to devote herself to motherhood.
With over 20 years of experience organizing and teaching Group Fitness Programs, JoAnna teaches a variety of fitness formats including Zumba, aquatic fitness, body conditioning, and YogaFit classes to all ages and abilities. She has mastered a well- rounded collection of skills but, most importantly, maintains a kind and caring approach with her supportive teaching style.
As stated by Beth Shaw, Founder of YogaFit….”You’re in good hands with JoAnna …She’s a true professional. Formerly a master trainer with us….she is highly skilled at customer contact and safety.”
Getting to know JoAnna:
- How did you get into yoga/YogaFit? I first started teaching group fitness classes (aerobics, muscle conditioning, water fitness, etc…) in the early 90’s. Yoga was definitely a format I was interested in teaching and I was already doing some yoga on my own to help balance my body. The gym where I worked asked if I would begin teaching yoga. This was back when gyms didn’t offer yoga classes. I then formulated a yoga class format and began teaching. I earned my YogaFit Level 1&2 Certifications soon after. I was amazed how similar the YogaFit style was to how I was already teaching. By the late 90’s I was a Trainer for YogaFit and so grateful to have the opportunity to learn while helping others.
- What Yama/Niyama comes to mind and how are you using it in your life right now? The first that comes to mind is the Niyama: Surrender. With my work and personal life, reminding myself that (instead of driving myself crazy trying to control everything around me) there is a divine force at work, bringing opportunities for growth from what life has to offer in the moment!
- What accomplishment are you most proud of? I absolutely LOVE being a mom! I have to say that working full time and being a single parent is sometimes a real juggling act! I feel very blessed and thankful to have the strength to be a single parent and have a career that promotes a healthy lifestyle.
- If you were going to write a book, what would you call it and what would it be about? “Dynamic Duo: Music & fitness” I would love to research and write about how music and fitness (aerobics, yoga, strength training, etc…) complement each other. Music and Fitness alone can be inspirational, but combined becomes a dynamic duo!
- What is your favorite benefit of YogaFit Partnership? Personally I have enjoyed being reunited with YogaFit family and attending new trainings. I feel retrains and discounts are a bonus too.
- What is something most people don’t know about you? Most people don’t know that I have Reiki Levels 1 & 2 certifications. I use Reiki energy regularly because it helps keep me balanced and healthy.
- If someone were to make a movie about your life, who would you hope would play you? Gwyneth Paltrow or Charlize Theron are two of my favorite female actors.